There was a time when scholarships were basically limited to High School Seniors and nobody else. Thankfully, times have changed and now scholarships are offered for a variety of different reasons and are available to an ensemble of groups and individuals. One of those special groups of people is Mothers. Various companies and educational facilities around the country offer their version of college scholarships for Mothers – especially single Mothers. If you are a single Mom and have custody of your child or children; then you are almost guaranteed to get some financial assistance towards your college education.
Just about every college or university has their own version of “Mother “Scholarships.” It is hard enough to pay for a college education today, let alone be a single Mother with children. Every educational facility will have a specific set of criteria that will have to be met. In addition, the amount of the scholarship or award will differ from educational facility to educational facility. The important fact to be known is; there are financial opportunities for those single mothers who want the assistance. Let’s take a look at just a few of the schools that offer single mother scholarships.
- Florida George Snow Scholarship Fund Scholarships for Single Parents- This scholarship has paid out more than $3,500,000 to over 900 students in needs over the years. They have over 47 different scholarship programs. Some of those are geared towards single Mothers.
- Minnesota State University Coplan Donohue Single Parent Scholarship- This is not a financial need based scholarship. This program offers $1,000 in financial assistance to those single Mothers who demonstrate a commitment to parenting and are going to fulfill their educational commitment at Minnesota State University. The Mother should have 30 completed semester credits and be a U.S. Citizen. Those Mothers interested can fill out the Coplan Donohue Single Parent Scholarship Form and submit an essay describing your beliefs on Motherhood and also listing your future goals. You will also need 3 letters of reference and your transcripts.
- Wisconsin – The University of Wisconsin – Eau Claire Single Parent Scholarships- Here they offer 5 different scholarships for mothers geared towards helping Moms. The criteria and award varies between $500 and $1,000.
General Mother Scholarships
- Non Traditional Student Scholarships for Moms
- Project Working Mom Scholarships for Moms
- Unknown Ford Scholarships for Moms
In general, a Mother will not find it hard to find financial aid if they want to pursue post high school education. Just about every state has some type of support for this situation. Another place to turn is the government. The government had dedicated a portion of the Stimulus Package money to helping Mothers go back to school. There are some companies and organizations that are awarding $10,000 mother scholarships and then there are great Pell Grants as well. Unlike student loans; these do not have to be repaid. If you are a Mother and you want to get the education you could not afford; or couldn’t complete because you had children; there are good mom scholarship programs and mother financial college assistance out there to assist you.