When it comes to scholarships – the Fulbright Fellowship Program Scholarship Grant is one unique International Scholarship. Created in 1945/46 by senator William Fulbright of Arkansas with the intent of promoting “mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries of the world.” He was a true visionay and ahead of his time in developing his Fulbright Program because the Fulbright Grants and Fellowships accomplished their goals. Barriers were indeed broken down and people around the world realized we’re all alike in our dreams and goals much sooner then they would of otherwise.
The United States Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs all together sponsor the Fulbright Program. The United States Congress is the primary source of funding for the Fulbright Fellowships which is set aside every year by the United States Congress to the Department of State. Governments and host institutions in other foreign countries along with the United States contribute financially through cost-sharing and indirect support, such as salary supplements, tuition waivers and university housing. Private as well as public agencies throughout the US participate in the administration of the Fulbright Fellowship Grant Program. The binational Fulbright Commissions and/or the Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassies overseas help in sponsoring the Fulbright Scholarship Grants.
The Fulbright Program encompasses a variety of exchange programs, including those for faculty and professionals. A brief explanation of and link to each program is provided below. There are numerous exchange programs for faculty as well as educational professionals within The Fulbright Program and are broken down into the following groups:
1) US Fulbright Scholar Program. This particular Fulbright scholarship sends 800 scholars and professionals each year to over 140 countries, where they lecture or conduct research in a wide variety of academic and professional fields.
2) Fulbright-Hays Foreign Area and Language Training Programs is administered by the U.S. Depart. of Education’s Office of International Education and Graduate Programs. Funds are awarded to Americans individually or to U.S. institutions to support research and training efforts abroad which focus on non-western foreign languages and all world area studies.
3) Visiting Fulbright Scholar Program awards Fulbright Grants to foreign scholars who come to the US to lecture and/or will be conducting postdoctoral research work. Every year 800 scholars come for an academic year.
4) College and University Affiliations Fulbright Program trys to establish connections between US universities/colleges and institutions overseas. This is done through the exchange of faculty and staff. Started in 1982 this program became worldwide in 1983. These educational connections concentrate mainly on the social sciences, humanities, business administration and the arts. Since the program started a little over (350) Fulbright scholarship institutional grants have been handed out.
5) Pre-Doctoral Fellowships. These Fulbright Fellowships are dispersed to US as well as to foreign graduate students and graduating seniors. Some (800) Americans are studying overseas and have full or partial support from the Fulbright Grant Program. Coresponding awards are offered each year to foreign graduate students for financial support to US universities.
6) Fulbright Teacher Exchange Program. This program provides opportunities mostly for one-for-one exchanges between U.S. and foreign elementary, secondary and postsecondary teachers.
7) Hubert Humphrey Fulbright Fellowship Program. Created in 1979 so as to bring accomplished mid-career professionals from developing countries to the United States at a mid-point in their careers for a year of study and related professional experiences. Fulbright Fellowships are awarded based on their potential for national leadership in the fields of public administration and public policy analysis, public health, agricultural development, resource management and planning.
All of these above Fulbright Fellowship International scholarships and Grants are truely unique scholarships which allow students to study overseas in foreign countries where students will get an academic as well as a cultural education at the same time. It dosen’t get any better then this. Senator William Fulbright knew that a cultural as well as educational exchange of ideas would result in a revelation of mutually shared commonalities amongst all peoples of the world and this would be quickened with his program. Senator or phrophet? Look into this truely one-of-a-kind Fulbright Scholarships Fellowship Grant Program today and you can decide for yourself.
Studying Abroad Scholarships Grants are Unusual Scholarships.